In 1964, the British Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) had a problem with their lifeboats. They were built using fabric and inflated, maki...
Rayglass’s Protector RIBs are among the most capable and durable utility vessels in the world. Pride in product, innovation and commitment to quality is the formula for success behind our globally recognized brand. Since 1985, Rayglass has grown to become a world leader in producing high-performance RIB’s – the Protector. Designed to excel in the harshest conditions, we cater a full range of work and recreational boats including the Protector Targa and Chase lines, which range in lengths between 25’ to 41’. Protector’s reputation for excellence in design, construction and performance is the result of a total commitment by everyone at Rayglass to producing world class vessels of the highest standard.Learn more about Rayglass
The Protector story, so far
- Release of the Rayglass Protector 850. A purpose built vessel for Coastguard NZ
- Release of the Protector 750 centre console
- Protector was selected as the Louis Vuitton and America's Cup official supplier for umpire, patrol, photo and crowd control vessels.
- Rayglass built a one off 60ft Protector for Emirates Team NZ - at the time the largest RIB built worldwide
- Release of the Rayglass Protector 11 STD Cabin and Centre Console
- Release of the Rayglass Protector 12.5m Cabin XL. The first inflatable launch in the world
- Release of the Rayglass Protector 12.5m centre console
- Rayglass was selected as the official supplier to the Louis Vuitton and Americas Cup in Auckland
- Rayglass Boats moved into their new state of the art purpose-built premises in Auckland, New Zealand
- Rayglass was selected as the official supplier to the Louis Vuitton and Americas Cup in Valencia
- Over 100 Protectors were shipped to Valencia for the event
- Release of the Rayglass Protector 310 & 330 Targa
- Release of the Rayglass Protector 380 & 410 Targa
- Release of the Rayglass Protector Projet
- Rayglass was selected as the official supplier to Emirates Team NZ for the Louis Vuitton & Americas Cup in San Francisco
- Rayglass was selected as the official supplier to Emirates Team NZ for the Louis Vuitton & Americas Cup in Bermuda
- Release of the 2nd generation Rayglass Protector 250, 310 & 330 Chase
- Rayglass were chosen as the official Chase boat Suppliers to the Sail GP
- Release of the 2nd generation Rayglass Protector 380 & 410 Chase
- Rayglass won the tender 24 Protectors for a special collaboration between NZ Coastguard and the America's Cup. The boats will be used as support boats for the America's Cup regattas, before being passed on to the New Zealand Coastguard to be fitted out and used as patrol vessels nationwide.
- Release of the 2nd generation Rayglass Protector 380 & 410 Targa
- Release of the 2nd generation Rayglass Protector 310 & 330 Targa
- The first of 26 ex America's Cup Protectors are refitted for Coastguard New Zealand
- Release of the Protector 410 Targa fitted with twin V12 600hp outboards.
“Our boats are the product of exhaustive research and development to constantly improve the designs, ride, seaworthiness, all-round utility and family comfort. Exceptional on-water performance can only come from the utmost attention to quality and design. The results of this focus can be found in any Rayglass, as many satisfied owners and organisations will happily endorse.”Dave Larsen, Rayglass CEO
Some of the most widely recognized endorsements of Protector’s performance have come from the organizers and participants of the world’s most prestigious yacht races – the Prada Cup, America’s Cup and more recently, the Sail GP – who have repeatedly chosen a fleet of Protector boats for on-water patrol, VIP transportation, umpiring and team support vessels.
EMIRATES TEAM NZ
“Rayglass has played an integral role in the success behind Emirates Team New Zealand over the years. As a team, we spend countless hours out on the water in all conditions imagineable. It is crucial that our fleet of support vessels can handle any water, any where, which is why we have repeatedly chosen a fleet of Protector’s as our official support boat of choice”Chris Salthouse, ETNZ